I have a Sony Vaio SVE15116EN with AMD Radeon HD 7650 graphics card. I am currently using Ubuntu 12.10. My brightness controls are not working but sound controls are working fine. I have also tried proprietary drivers also but no luck. I have tried controlling brightness with terminal but it also did not work. Please can anyone tell me what can i do? I have been searching for the solution almost for a week. Any ideas?
Here is Solutions:
We have many solutions to this problem, But we recommend you to use the first solution because it is tested & true solution that will 100% work for you.
I found the solution:
- Download the amd radeon driver from here
- Run terminal and tupe
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic
- Go to directory where you have downloaded the zip file of driver which might be /home/your_username/Downloads. Extract the zip file there. You will see a .run file.
- Run command:
sudo sh amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.run
- It will open the installer window. Now install the driver. After finishing it will ask you to reboot but don’t.
- Open a new terminal and type:
sudo amdconfig --initial
- Now reboot your system. Your brightness control will work fine.
In case if you use radeon graphics this may help you
echo 200 | sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/radeon_bl0/brightness
Found a yet better way to do this with GUI based installation method, worked well for my card ati card 7650 on sony vaio
Note: Use and implement solution 1 because this method fully tested our system.
Thank you 🙂