Bluetooth device paired and connected (no sound)

I’ve got a Bluetooth headset which works great in both Windows 8 and Android 4.2 however on Ubuntu (13.10) it just doesn’t seem to work. I installed Blueman, it paired and connected successfully when I tried Audio sink but it still doesn’t show up in my Sound Settings nor PulseAudio which I installed and tried. All there is in my Sound Settings is “Analog Output”. I tried several fix like changing and adding things in /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf without any success. I’ve restarted the bluetooth service several times in the process as well.

Let me know if you need more information from me and my system.

Kind regards,
Michael.

Here is Solutions:

We have many solutions to this problem, But we recommend you to use the first solution because it is tested & true solution that will 100% work for you.

Solution 1

I’m on Ubuntu gnome 16.04. Solution is to enable auto-detection, pair the headset again and select it in the list of output audio devices.

  1. Change #AutoEnable=false to AutoEnable=true in the /etc/bluetooth/main.conf (notice new line is un-commented)
  2. Unpair the headset
  3. Restart the bluetooth service sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth restart
  4. Pair your headset again and connect it
  5. Go to sound settings. From the output device tab you should now see the headset listed along with other output device like internal speakers
  6. Choose it as the sound output device.

Solution 2

I’m with the same problem, after pair the headset, I’m using the pulseaudio -k command, then the device shows up in the Sound Settings and it works.

It’s not a good solution, but it was what I got until now.

Solution 3

The following worked for me.

There’s an option in /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf
called AutoConnect=true. Make sure this is not commented (i.e. no hashes)
(change #AutoConnect=true to AutoConnect=true)

This will make pulseaudio recognize the device.

Note: For Ubuntu 14 and up, the file is called /etc/bluetooth/main.conf.

Solution 4

I’m on Ubuntu GNOME 16.04 and I’ve found a solution that works perfectly here:

https://wiki.debian.org/BluetoothUser/a2dp


On ubuntu user is gdm and not Debian-gdm, here are the exact instructions:

In order to prevent GDM from capturing the A2DP sink on session start,
edit /var/lib/gdm3/.config/pulse/client.conf (or create it, if it
doesn’t exist):

autospawn = no
daemon-binary = /bin/true

After that you have to grant access to this file to gdm user:

$ chown gdm:gdm /var/lib/gdm3/.config/pulse/client.conf

In order to auto-connect a2dp for some devices, add this to
/etc/pulse/default.pa:

load-module module-switch-on-connect

Reboot.

Now the sound device (bluetooth headset) should be accessible through
pavucontrol and standard audio device manager.

Solution 5

i’ve got the same issue on Lubuntu 13.10 with blueman and an wireless speaker adapter. For me the following fixed it:

Insert load-module module-switch-on-connect in the /etc/pulse/default.pa

Command pulseaudio -k

Command pactl load-module module-bluetooth-discover

This module isn’t loaded automatically, you have to load it manually.
I didn’t find a more convenient way.

Solution 6

The only thing that worked for me on Ubuntu 16.04 is to restart the bluetooth service, then reconnect the speaker:

sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth restart

This seems to happen to me whenever I wake the computer from suspend.

Solution 7

Step 1:

mkdir -p ~gdm/.config/systemd/user
ln -s /dev/null ~gdm/.config/systemd/user/pulseaudio.socket

Step 2: REMOVE the paired Bluetooth device
Remove device

Step 3: PAIR it again

This worked for me.

Solution 8

This also still happens in 20.04 ubuntu wayland especially once I come out of suspend.

I used Eduardo’s solution up there and it did not work. It just that added 2 more options to my settings > Sound > Output Device Options, But still the Bluetooth device was not included as an option.

Additionally restarting the bluetooth service did it for me.

pulseaudio -k

sudo systemctl restart bluetooth

Its not clean but it works.

Note: Use and implement solution 1 because this method fully tested our system.
Thank you 🙂

All methods was sourced from stackoverflow.com or stackexchange.com, is licensed under cc by-sa 2.5, cc by-sa 3.0 and cc by-sa 4.0

Leave a Reply